Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Unexpected Progress.

Last Wednesday we had to skip our dance practice because Nic was having so much things going on in his work. I must admit that I was quite disapponted when he told me he was just too tired for dancing. This is why I usually like doing sports on my own: my workout is not dependent of anyone else but me. So, it felt like a long time since last time I went to our little ballroom when I head there yesterday.

When I got there Nic asked me to sit down. He looked serious. I was afraid that he was going to say that he is not going to dance with me anymore. I am completely fallen in love with ballroom dancing and just a thought of quitting is too much. Fortunately that was not the case and he is still going to keep on teaching me.

After the serious part we started with some spinning. I am getting even better with it even though the dizzy feeling remains. I think that I will get over that with some more practice.

What I was really happy about was that for the first time I felt quite confident dancing Rumba. Nic suspected that I had been practicing on my own but maybe I am just finally getting the hang of the dance and the basic movement. I am also finally getting the cucaracha integrated to my steps. Finally, I must say! I thought it was going to take an eternity since I was not making any progress with it lately. So, maybe I can consider dancing more Latin in future.

Since I was making a progress Nic taught me how to use the Box step, which I learned earlier to Cha-cha, in Rumba. He told me it is kind of cheating to use the Box in Rumba so I am not quite sure if it is an actual Rumba step or not. The idea is quite same though: you separate from your partner and make a square by moving forward, left, back and right. Getting back to the basic step is more simple than in Cha-cha: just one normal spin. Since there is much more time in Rumba I asked if I was supposed to do something with my hands. Nic said he never thought of that, and he got quite exited of my ideas of reaching to your partner when separating, with kind of don't-go-away-feeling. We ended up making some own hand movements to the step, fun!

We also practiced a proper dance stance in Slow Waltz and the two pillar idea. I am supposed to keep my hip really close to Nic and lean back my upper part. I really felt it in my back, so there is still much to practice (which I do not mind since I like dancing Slow Waltz a lot).

It is funny how you realize some new things is yourself when dancing. Nic told me that I am totally different person when we are dancing. He said I just change immediately when he offers his hand to me. I must say that I feel like a different person too. It is hard to describe it. It is like a different world to me. A world where I cannot be anything more that I am. A world where I cannot pretend being someone else that I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment