Tuesday, May 24, 2011

This Is My Dancing Partner.

In addition to Hassen Tanzt our weekend in Germany included also other dancing activities. Both Friday and Saturday evenings we went to Nic's old dancing school Tanzschule Bier (www.tanzschule-bier.de). On Friday there was a ballroom dancing evening where we met couple of Nic's friends from his competition dancing times and they turned out to be really awesome people. I took my new dancing shoes with me and they proved to be excellent and the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. My shoes were also noticed by Nic's friends ("what, do you have PAOUL's dancing shoes, how is that possible?!"). It was quite hard, though, to dance with the shoes for the first time especially to Standards since my balance was placed differently.

What I was surprised and what made me so happy was that every time Nic introduced me to someone I was always referred as his dancing partner. Not a friend nor something else, but a dancing partner. I don't know much about dancer circles but I know this: dancing partner isn't anyone, s/he is someone really special and important. You don't go around introducing your new dancing partner just like that. Yes, one of Nic's motives taking me to his dancing school was to show me off, and you know what, I don't mind! It just shows that he is so proud of having me as his dancing partner. It was like making things official if you could say that.

On Friday I danced Slow Waltz for the first time with someone else than Nic when Nic's friend, who is a competition dancer, asked me to dance with him. I struggled so much to follow his lead I cannot believe. He took so long steps and his signals were so different from Nic's, plus it didn't help I was wearing my dancing shoes for the first time. Actually I felt like I let Nic down not being able to show what he has taught me, but later Nic told me that his friend saw a great deal of potential in me. I think I was able to make a good impression to Nic's other friends too. What a relief!

Saturday's Salsa party "Salsa Mea" was just awesome. I wore my new Salsa skirt and I don't know if it was that, the tequila shot or the things I learned form Hessen Tanzt but I was on fire in the dance floor! I knew I had improved since last time even without looking at Nic's amazed look in his eyes. Even Nic's friends commented to him that they would have never guessed that we have been practicing only for three months. Well, I guess it is as Nic said: you can learn to salsa only by doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment