Monday, April 25, 2011

From Student to Teacher and Back to Student.

I taught Nic some snow boarding in Lapland and by doing that I think we both were able to realize some things about teaching and learning. I must say in some things we are so similar. When we went up to the slope for the first time Nic was already asking me to teach him how to turn from side to the other. It gave me a flashback of me asking Nic to teach me the double spin in Salsa far before I was ready for it. I laughed and replied that he should know better how important it is to learn the basic step first!

I don't know if it was because the temporary change of roles but in my opinion we had one of the best practices today. Well, it did not hurt that we both just happened to be in a really good mood when stepping in to our ballroom! I was happy to discover that Nic wanted to teach me some more Foxtrot after trying it shortly in the dance evening in Lapland. Foxtrot is a Standard ballroom dance and it was invented, according to one theory, by Harry Fox in 1914 in the United States. It became extremely popular and kept its strong  standing all the way to the 1940s. Over the time the dance split into slow and quick versions, Quickstep being the faster one (maybe Nic will teach me also that soon!). Since Foxtrot can be danced to a Beat music, it is quite common dance in Finnish dance evenings. I find it quite effortless to dance since I don't have to think of the steps too much. I also enjoyed Nic's music chooses for Foxtrot:


I think I am getting better in Cha-cha since Nic taught me a new step called the Box. It is the first step I have learned this far where you let go your hold of your dancing partner. The Box starts with a basic spin followed by separating out and moving two steps forward passing your partner. You move left with chasse, back with two steps and do right chasse. Returning to the normal dance stance is a bit more tricky: you push yourself towards your partner with one hand and do quick step cross forward four times changing the leg, turn and back to the basic step. Sounds more difficult that it really is.


We also did some spinning practice since I always get dizzy when turning around in Slow Waltz or Foxtrot. I did so well I made Nic speechless! His amazed look was the best feedback I could ever get! I'm definitely getting back the dance fever I had when we first started dancing. Cannot wait for the next practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment