Monday, May 16, 2011

Happy Ending?

Today we practiced some ending poses. An impressive ending pose is the last chance to show off your skills and charm your audience (or your dance partner!), and it in a way closes the story behind the song. Ending a dance without an ending pose is like having a nice dinner without a dessert: even if it was really good you feel like it needed the finishing touch. Since you can hold the ending pose for a quite a long time it needs to be fine-tuned and well practiced. So, we tried some endings to Tango and Rumba. With the ending it is finally my turn to lead since I can actually decide what kind of ending I would like us to do! But yes, it is hard to make a strong ending because of all the details. Using a mirror was a crucial thing to do I must say.


Today I asked Nic to teach me a Rumba move I saw in one of the homework videos. I was so surprised Nic actually agreed to teach me that because I was so sure he would have said that I am far from ready to that kind of moves. You can see the move from this video (couple 20, dance 3 rumba). It is the one where the lady spreads her legs wide to the sides. Quite cool, huh?


All in all today's practice was concentrated more on details than to the bigger picture. We worked on my cucaracha. The thing I have to learn next is to control my middle body so that it is more straight. Now my back curves too much so Nic asked me to concentrate thinking of my spine going to a different direction where I am going. Geez it was hard! Like starting from the beginning all over again. Well I learned it before so with practice I must learn it again!

Last but not least, things to remember in spinning practice: 1) package, 2) small steps, and 3) don't take your clothes off. Yes, this is what Nic taught me.

No comments:

Post a Comment