Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Samba de Salão.

Yesterday we danced ballroom Samba for the first time. Basically, Nic taught me just the basic step and a lady solo, but even that was challenging enough for me. When we were following the Latin competitions in Germany I had no idea how different it would feel to dance Samba compared to other Latin dances.

Samba dancers in festivals.
To give you (and myself) some background, Samba is one of the five Latin competition dances in International style Latin dancing. Samba is originally a Brazilian dance that was first introduced in 1917 and finally adopted as a ballroom dance be Brazilian society in 1930. The "original" Samba is mostly danced solo and as a festival dance during the street festivals and celebrations. While maintaining elements of Brazilian Samba, the ballroom Samba have been developed to fit the ballroom music and techniques, and so differs quite a lot. Samba music is in 2/4 meter and its tempo around 100 beats per minute. The basic rhythm goes 1 a2 1 a2 (accent on downbeat).

What distinguishes Samba from other Latin dances is the "Samba Bounce Action" that is created by compressing and straightening your knees. The Bounce Action is not bopping up and down but more like a gentle, dynamic and rhythmic action felt through the knees and ankles. Bouncing also makes the hip movement differ from other Latin dances which means I have to learn a whole now technique of moving my hips. However, it was nice to learn the basics of a new dance.

Ballroom Samba dancers.
In addition to Samba, it turned out I seriously have to practice the basic step for Jive, and that is what we did. What I still don't get is that Jive is a Latin dance. If I could decide, I would change Jive to Standard and Tango to Latin! Anyway, what I still don't get is Jive's hip movement and now I look more like a pole moving right and left. I hope I didn't look like that first time I danced Rumba, and well, if I did, I am glad I have made some improvement!

The cool thing Nic promised to teach me was actually pretty cool, and already B class competition stuff. It was a set of steps in Rumba including leg raises, spins, leanings and other movements. We were practicing it for 45 minutes at least, and that was only even without music and rhythm. It will take a long time for us to be able to put it into our dancing but I really liked this kind of training that is totally different from learning the basics.

I must say that our trip to Germany changed the both of us. We are not a student and a teacher any more, we are dancing partners. It doesn't mean Nic is not teaching me but our way of thinking is different. It is hard to explain but I guess I'm starting to realize the meaning and importance of the dancing partner concept. I have a feeling we both enjoy dancing now even more than before, if that is possible.

Going back to Samba, if you are interested of seeing Brazilian Samba I suggest going to Helsinki Samba Carnaval that is held on 10.-11.6.2011. More info about the program can be found on www.samba.fi.











No comments:

Post a Comment