Friday, April 1, 2011

So I think I can dance?

I was talking to this girl who I've met once before the other day. She aked me, "so, what sports do you do", and gave my arms a long look. I find it surprising people ask me that quite often. Well, I guess doing sports shows in your body at least when you have been exercicing for many years. But anwering "oh, I just go to the gym" to that question is really not that stimulating. It would be so much more interesting to tell about a cool-sounding sport, like, I don't know, chessboxing or synchronized swimming or something. When I added after my boring answer "and I just started to dance a while ago", her eyes brightened and she started to bombard me with more questions and told me she used to dance too.

But when can you say that you are a dancer? Is there a certain amount of years you have to take dancing classes or spesific number of competitions you have to attend? Or is dancer an occupational tittle when you would have to dance as your profession to be referred to a dancer? On the other hand, how long can you call yourself a dancer if you stop dancing? Nic has never referred himself to a dancer; its awlays a former competition dancer. Is there some kind of implied contract among dancers about this?

Maybe this will be revealed to me if I some day become a dancer. But for now I think I'd better just settle for I-just-started-dancing category.

No comments:

Post a Comment