Saturday, April 9, 2011

The next level of salsa.



Yesterday me and Nic went to a salsa club to a small lounge-like bar Coronita in the center of Helsinki. I haven't been salsa clubbing that much but I must say I was quite surprised about the place. We actually walked pass the bar without realizing that was the place we were looking for. Coronita is actually a restaurant and cafe but I think it was an awesome idea to throw a salsa party there! The dance floor was small but nobody seemed to care about it while DJ Lucho played lots of salsa and some merengue and bachata (a perfect mix of you ask me!).

What I really like about salsa clubs is that people do not go there to get drunk but to dance and have lots and lots of fun. If I go to a normal night club I usually do not stay there for long. They are loud, dark, full of drunken people and have only one activity to do if the music sucks: to drink. The first salsa club I went was in Copacabana in Helsinki about six months ago when Nic was visiting Helsinki. Until then I never thought I would have that much fun going out clubbing. I was so shocked when I noticed few months ago that the place had closed down. I guess salsa clubs are not yet the thing to do in Finland.
Anyway, yesterday's salsa party was a success. The place was full and the atmosphere was easy-going and somehow cozy in a way you could have imagined yourself to someone's house party. We went there around midnight and danced all the way to the end. In the beginning Nic was having his dance teacher mode on but I blocked his lecture reminding him about our deal: when we go out it is just having fun and no teaching whatsoever. The last thing I wanted to think about was if I was moving the right way or if I was making mistakes. I think letting myself to forget those things made me move to the next level of salsa, as Nic put it. I guess the surroundings also had something to do with it. Nic said he was really impressed from the beginning we entered the dance floor. I think I infected my dance mood to him since in the end he was spinning me around like never before. Damn we had fun! We will definitely go again there some day soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment