Thursday, April 26, 2012

Small Circles.

I have been wondering lately what could be the reason behind the fact that not many people ask me to dance with them in social dancing events. When I think of it, I usually dance only with the few same people. For example, in last Zouk practica I danced only with six leaders during the whole 2,5 hours. Okay right, I also enjoy the most dancing with those few leaders, so should I really be complaining? Still, is it that I look like I don't want to dance with others or what is the thing here?

I think one reason is that others are like me: they like dancing with the same people. If the dance party is big and you have many friends there, there isn't just time left for new dancing connections. If there is a good song coming, you want to dance that with someone who you know you can have an awesome dance. The problem is that when I go to a dance party from where I hardly know anyone, it is easy to feel like an outsider (I feel like this happens in every Salsa party I go to). It doesn't help that I am pretty shy to go and ask someone to dance with me, especially if I haven't been dancing with him before. I read this blog posting the other day about how to make a local dance scene bigger, and one central thing the writer was saying was that you should always dance not only with the experienced dancers you love to dance with, but also with those who are lower level than you are. I feel like some dancers are a bit too picky on their dance company, and I must admit that sometimes I tend to be that kind of dancer too. However, that is not the right way to attract new and potential dancers, or to make some new surprising dance experiences for that matter.

The above said doesn't apply to situations where there is a dancer I have danced with before but he doesn't seem willing to dance with me again. So what if my way of dancing is just something that only few people like? Right, I do think that you cannot have a good dancing connection with everyone - it is just like you cannot get along with everyone outside the dance floor either-  but are people giving up too easy after the first impression? After all, one dance is usually not enough to adapt to the other's dance style. I understand that social dancing events are for having fun but maybe there is a chance of learning something new when dancing with someone the connection doesn't come that naturally. Dancing circles are small, there's no denying it, but would it be that hard to make your own circles bigger?

So after thinking this through I could come to a conclusion that it is me who is keeping my own circles small. Not many leaders ask me to dance with them but then again I'm not really doing that much to change it. I keep on dancing in my comfort zone with the leaders I feel most comfortable dancing with. I think there is nothing wrong with that as long as I keep stepping out from that zone every now and then. Phew, I think I have to start changing my social dancing habits!

4 comments:

  1. People don't dance with others because of the following reasons:

    1. Good dancers want only to dance with good dancers they connect with. Their level.

    2. Leaders are shy, and think that the Follower is too good. So they don't dare to ask. They don't want to be rejected, or they don't think they are good enough to dance with the other person.

    3. Followers are shy, and think that the Leader is too good. so they dont dare to ask.They don't want to be rejected, or they don't think they are good enough to dance with the other person.

    4. Leader and followers only dance with their "friends", as they feel comfortable.

    Its all very complicated. I think that people should dance with everyone, friend or no-friend, Super good dancers, and not so good dancers.

    A sign of a "Super good Leader", is someone who can "make any level" of girl feel and look good.

    A sign of a "super good follower", is someone who can "make any level" of guy feel and look good.

    In the end of the day, we are doing social dancing here. Everyone should and deserves fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog :)

    I found it because I was searching for Kizomba courses in Helsinki, but now that I am here, I would love to give my opinion to your post. I am from mexico, in my country we do not dance that much salsa. It is either cumbia, danzón, or local dances. Anyways, when I moved to Finland, nobody understood my leading :) and therefore, I began to take courses.

    I am studying salsa LA style here in Helsinki, and now I love it. It is awesome, but I cant dance everything. I can survive with baasic Bachata, and basic Cuban, more or less ok Cha Cha Cha, but so far zero zouk, or Kizomba (but I want courses :) )

    About the dancing invitations.... When I go to parties, lets say a Fresca party or something, I see the dance floor, and I see for instance that a girl only dances Cuban, I think that she will not feel comfortable dancing Cross Body. Or alternatively, if I see a girl dancing LA, I would ask her since it is more likely that we could understand each other. Or for instance, if a girl is mostly chatting, and only dances when there is Zouk/Kizomba music, I would not ask her to dance salsa, as she probably would not like it either, and since my zouk skills are non-existant, well, end of the story there:). So maybe the point is just to dance a little bit of everything. :)

    On the other hand, if possible, I like to dance with as many dancers as possible!!!! it is part of the fun. and there is absolutely no rule against girls asking guys out! :)

    I like your blog a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Anthony and Agoran for the good discussion! And I'm so happy that someone likes what I write here :)

    I agree that social dancing is about having fun, and you have more fun if you dance with someone who understands your leading and with who you connect easy. My point here was that many dancers (including me!) tend to stick with people they know and have danced with before. Anthony had a good point there: being a really good dancer means that you can dance with different level dancer and make it work and enjoyable. Besides, if you only stick with familiar dancers you might miss the best dance connections and experiences with someone new!

    ReplyDelete