Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Believing In Yourself.

I shouldn't keep this long break with my updates since I seem to forget all the different dancing feelings I've been having lately. Many people who go to dance congresses are usually having this coming-back-home-depression when there is no mind-blowing dance parties every night, but I have been in a really good dancing mood since Prague and I hope it keeps on going till the next congress. I feel like I'm not dancing as much as I want to, so I'd like to start something new, but then again I know I should finish my school work for this term first.

Prague's congress triggered me to think about me as a dancer from another angle, and I have been realizing some important things. Things that kept pushing me down before. Things that I needed to find out. See, many people like giving advices and I am usually really careful listener. I came across this quote and I couldn't agree more.


It is important to listen to the advice you get, but what I did wrong was forgetting to listen to myself. I was thinking too much what others think of me as a dancer and what did they think about my dancing. What about my opinion? Am I the kind of dancer I want to be, or am I just trying to be the kind of dancer I think others want me to be? So I listened to myself. There is no right way of dancing, just different ways, and I like the way where I am going.

Oh, JV asked me to post here some of the pictures I took from last Saturday's White Party. I must say, that even though I had many great dances in the party, I was kind of disapponted to the night. The music wasn't the way I expected, and most left quite early so I couldn't dance all night long as I would have wanted. Hm, better luck next time.





Last week it felt weird to go back dancing ballroom after dancing just Zouk intensively for couple of weeks. We had Cha-cha and Bugg on Thursday's classes and those woke up a different side of me that has been sleeping for a while. Even though I love some dances more than others, dancing a variety of different dances gives something to all of them. The best thing is to come home after long dance classes, exhausted but with a huge smile on my face. That's what I was planning to do tomorrow!

Last but not least, I have to mention one thing that made me happy this week. Michaelo asked me if I wanted to be his dance partner in Zouk, Kizomba and Bachata competitions next autum. I understand Zouk, but he could have asked someone who actually knows something about Kizomba and Bachata. Instead, he asked me. So I guess I'm not the only one who likes the way where I am going.

1 comment:

  1. Its always good to listen to others, but its more important to listen to yourself.
    Everyone has their own style, they just need to find it in themselves. What makes them happy, and feel comfortable.

    this however is something I wrote, for myself.......after so-soul searching. When I was going through a period of thinking about ME.
    "♥ Regardless of how much time and effort I put in, I will never be as good a dancer as my teachers that I admire. I will never, as am not a 100% dedicated professional dancer, with a long career, including dance studies and training, who spends everyday perfecting and practicing their craft. Get real."

    ReplyDelete