Thursday, September 15, 2011

I Am In!

Oh. My. God. I'm going to be one of the eleven girls who dances in this year's Spex! I am so exited and super happy about this I can't stop smiling. I had a good feeling about this but I still can't believe I made it to the dance group from so many great dancers. It is going to be awesome, I tell you! I'm going to keep updating my feelings about our practices here, but as the content and storyline of the musical is secret, I won't be able to reveal much more than that. Wow, I guess this proves that if you want something really bad, you can reach your dreams. I'm already looking forward our first Spex practice on Sunday.


In addition to Spex I am planning to continue with the ballroom dancing courses in my uni students' association on Wednesdays and Thursdays. This week we had Cha-cha in the beginners and advanced classes and Fusku in the intermediate class. It was definitely worth going to the beginners' Cha-cha to be able to concentrate on the basic step and movement. My first impression of the beginners' class participants was that they were somehow more relaxed and exited about dancing. I didn't feel bad if I didn't do everything right or didn't know some of the figures. Actually after the class I was asked to stay and dance a bit longer and of course I couldn't refuse. Today I was already able to follow in the Cha-cha class better than last week and I finally got some of the figures I didn't get last time. What was nice was that the instructor asked me if I had been doing competition ballroom dancing. Nic, you taught me well!

Fusku is a dance that was totally new for me. It is kind of a more simple version of Jive. I was a bit worried if I was able to follow the intermediate class but I think I did pretty well after two hours of dancing. In the beginning I warned all of my dancing partners that it was my first time, and many of them were really nice giving  me some good advice about the dance. Some of them were even surprised how well I was able to catch the steps! So it was a good decision to give it a try, Fusku is a fun and quite easy dance.

What I learned about my dancing technique in this week's ballroom classes was that I have to keep eye on my left foot in Cha-cha: I tend to lift it up when stepping back with my right. Also, what was really challenging for me was to keep my hands tense enough in Fusku. If I don't give counterpressure with my hands I won't be able to follow the signals my partner gives me. But at least I'm getting the hang out of the following.

Tomorrow I'm going to the HOT dance dancing party. I hope some of the dancing class participants actually come and ask me for a dance there (I think I might have caused some serious trauma to some of them, haha).

No comments:

Post a Comment