Friday, September 9, 2011

HOT Dancing.

Yesterday I took my dance shoes out for a dance after a long break. I found out about these ballroom dancing classes they have in the university's students' association through my uni email just the day before and I decided to check it out. Since the courses are organized by students I can actually afford taking the classes without taking extra shifts in my part-time job, yay! Check out their website here.

Bravely I walked in to the intermediate class wondering if the level was right for me. The place was pretty full of people I've never met, little bit more girls than boys. They were playing Foxtrot in the background and people were changing dancing partners every now and then. Before I knew someone was already asking me for a dance and there I went.

The two hour Foxtrot class was the ultimate learn-how-to-follow-the-lead-challenge for me. When I danced with Nic I knew what figures he would use and what kind of signals he would make before these figures. Now I was on my own. Firstly, there were figures I never used and even the basic steps could vary. Second, I had no idea what kind of signals everybody were using. Third, we were changing partners many times during one song so as soon I was almost getting the other person's rhythm, he was gone. Yes, after getting trod on my feet dozens of times (ouch!), I was already missing the good old times where I could concentrate on the technique or just enjoy the music while dancing effortless. My whole energy went to attempts of trying to read my partners' next moves and I forgot my stance and footwork totally. I felt sorry for my partners trying to control me with bad results, not because of them but mostly because of me. I think I had to apologize hundreds of times.

Other thing I was surprised was the huge difference between Finnish ballroom dancing and competition ballroom dancing. You place yourself a lot closer to your partner in Finnish ballroom style. Also the pose is more relaxed and you don't have to keep your shoulders as stabile as in competition stance. Many times I felt like I needed more space for myself. Don't hug me, hold me firmly in the stance, please! Also the basic step caused me difficulties because I wasn't able to bounce enough.

In the end, I think, I was somehow able to follow different leads and I'm sure next time I'll do even better. The last song was a slow and beautiful Foxtrot where I was finally truly able to enjoy the feeling of ballroom dancing. I liked my partner's style of leading, soft and gliding, and we danced the whole dance until the end, even though the other girls were waiting for their turn.

After two hours of Foxtrot my feet were killing me. I was already going to leave home until I heard my favorite ballroom music playing: the advanced class was about to start with Cha-cha. I couldn't resist the temptation and sneaked back to the room after observing a while. And wow, I felt awesome. All the Salsa dancing during the summer has given me so much confidence for Latin dances and I felt lots more comfortable dancing with strangers than in the previous class. I learned couple of new figures for Cha-cha that still needs more practice though.
Half way of the advanced class I had to give up because my feet simply couldn't take it anymore. I was hardly able to drag myself to the bus stop with my sore feet. 

Maybe this is not the end after all but a new beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment