Monday, September 19, 2011

Dancing With Dancers.

On Saturday night I went to this amazing Finnish National Ballet's dance event called Dance With Dancers. It was the third time they organized this kind of party that includes ballet performances and partying in the Finnish National Opera's Alumni hall. I wasn't really sure what to expect from it but, wow, the event was beyond all my expectations!

DWD included different kind of dance shows from National Ballet's dancers and visiting stars. The night offered something for everybody but I simply enjoyed every single dance so much they gave me goose bumps countless of times. Between the performances the audience was invited to the dance floor while the DJ played groovy dance music in the background. The moment the dance floor was free the crowd ran there and started to jam. How bizarre for Finnish people!

I was surprised how big talents they had in the show. The dancers gave us amazing performances not only in classic and modern ballet but also contemporary dance, acrobatic shows and beyond. I especially liked the visiting stars Hanna&Vicktor (www.vhdance.com) and their breath taking lifts. After the performances the dancers joined the rest of us to the dance floor. Wow, I could spend my Saturday evenings in this kind of company all the time! If I'm in Finland next year during the DWD, I'm most definitely going there. This party is not to be missed!

My dance-filled weekend continued on Sunday evening when we had our first Spex practice with the newly-chosen dancers. The atmosphere was cheery and encouraging, and it felt kind of surreal to actually be there, having fun dancing in my first dance group. Since the songs for Spex are not set yet and the choreography hasn't been done, we did some technique training and group spirit lifting. I really like the mentality that no one (read: me) is looked down because she has less dancing experience than the others. Everybody has their own strengths and everybody can learn something new from the others. We also danced one interesting dance-mixture choreography to a Latin music, and it felt nice to get some positive comments on my Latin style dancing. Yeah, it was definitely more my area than ballet! The two hour practice went in a glimpse and I was all smile when I got home. I was planning to take a picture from the practice, but of course I forgot to take my camera out of my bag. Well, next time maybe!

No comments:

Post a Comment