Thursday, July 14, 2011

Infecting The Dance Fever.

I spend my sunny yesterday evening with my new Polish friend. She is visiting Finland for couple of weeks and her host family asked me to keep her some company and to show how the young spend their free time around here. I was thinking hard what I could show her and since we were having our Wednesday practice in the evening anyway, I decided to take her along. I tempted one of my friend to partner her, and so the setting was done.

Either of them didn't have previous ballroom dancing experience which was perfect because we were able to start from the very basics with both of them and they didn't get bored of the slow progress. I suggested to Nic that he would teach them Salsa because the basic steps are easy to learn and today there is going to be a Salsa party in Cuba where I invited my Polish friend to come. So the first 45 minutes or so we practiced the basic step, lady solo and a basic turn for man. In the end of the hour Nic introduced Merengue to us. I haven't been dancing Merengue for a long time myself and somehow, even though the steps are really simple, I am quite uncomfortable with the dance. I have a feeling that they are not playing that much Merengue in Salsa events anymore, but it is more Batchata and Kizomba if not Salsa.

Sorry, I didn't remember to take pics during the practice, so these are taken after dancing.
Anyway, I got a feeling that both of my friends were enjoying the practice and at least for me the one hour went past really fast. I was talking to the Polish girl about dancing before the practice and she said that someone tried to teach her Salsa before but she didn't really like it. I took this as a challenge and after the lesson she was actually saying that she might want to take some dancing lessons when she goes back home. Dancing fever infected successfully! I am hoping that she will join me and Nic today in Tropicoco party to Cuba so she can see how it is like in Salsa parties.

Before the Tropicoco party I and Nic are going to the French Embassy, they are having some party there today. Cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment