Sunday, July 10, 2011

24h Salsa Party.

Yesterday I and Nic went to 24h Salsa party organized by Salsa Borealis, Helsinki Salsa Association. We took a ferry to Pihlajasaari around noon and headed to the camping area there. While the organizers were putting up the music and other stuff, I decided to take a small nap to recover from Friday night's party with my uni friends. The music started to play around 1 pm and because we wanted to enjoy the whole day dancing, we started slow and easy to Salsa. Because the sky was clear and weather quite hot, you wasn't able to dance many songs in a row anyway. But what a perfect day it was for this kind of Salsa event!


The camping area didn't have a dance floor so we danced on top of the rocks. First I thought it would not be an ideal surface to dance but after all it wasn't too bad! Well sometimes the sloping rock caused some tiny balance problems. As the day went on, more and more people joined the party and hit the dance floor.

Before dinner there was a Rueda session that attracted most of the people to dance. It was still too confusing for me but now I got the hang out of the main movements. People really seemed to love Rueda!


The time flew amazingly fast and soon it was already time for dinner. Even though I didn't feel hungry at all I was so out of energy at this point and no wonder - we had been dancing 4 hours already. The organizers had made delicious food: chicken, potato salad, rice and mango salsa accompanied with mojito drinks. Yum yum.

After refilling our energies we spent the rest of the day, surprisingly, dancing. Nic also taught me the right technique for different bendings. I cannot believe how fast the time went and soon it was already time for the last ferry back to Helsinki. We both were tired but really happy when sitting in a bus on our way home.

In addition to dancing, it was the people who made the day so perfect. You could see that everybody were just loving dancing as much as I do. There were also lots of beginners, actually lots more than I expected. It was nice when people came to talk to us. It is always nice to hear that it shows we know how to dance Salsa. I also experienced Cuban style Salsa for the first time. The hardest thing in it was that the rhythm is little bit different from LA style what Nic is teaching me. The guy who I danced with was really nice so I'm hoping him to teach me some more Cuban style some day.

Too bad that the event is organized only once a year. I could spend all my summer Saturdays like this!


 Like Saturday wasn't enough, we went also to the Opera Salsa this evening. I think I haven't danced this much in one weekend like... never in my life! Anyway, it was really fun and this time there were more than 200 people there. It's getting more and more popular every time! And today there were lots of awesome dancers, wow! I was already getting worried of losing my dancing partner but Nic said he was being really proud of me. He said I improved lots during this weekend, yay! We're definitely going back there next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment