Thursday, December 1, 2011

Ready, Set...

... NO! How is is possible that 6 days before the premiere my body decides to get sick?! The flu hit fast late Monday evening and conquered my entire body during the night. Tuesday's go-through was absolutely horrible. I had no strength, I couldn't concentrate, made stupid mistakes and felt like dying after dancing. I came to a conclusion that dancing and being sick is like ice cream and ketchup: they just don't go together (plus I love ice cream and hate ketchup)! I have been trying to rest as much as I can but I still don't feel well. I mean, why now after being well for more than a year? Okay, if I try to see the positive side of it, I might get better before the premiere. It is just that the last week of training is so important. We have to get all the dances perfect in just 4 days.

Practicing choreography for Spex has definitely taught me a lot, not just about dancing but about me. One thing concerns feedback and criticism. Even though I know that if I get negative feedback, it is not because of I cannot dance but because everybody have to make all the moves the same way. If there is even a small difference it has to be corrected. Even though I know this very well, it is still too easy to take it the wrong way. Hearing only negative feedback in every practice has dragged me down too many times. It has made me question my abilities as a dancer. However, I believe this experience has also made me stronger and taught me the importance of always giving also positive feedback. It is so easy to concentrate on the mistakes but it is the strengths that makes us shine.

Oh, last weekend I met one dancer whose dance style matches mine frightening well. We also think about dancing in very similar way. I think that if we started to dance together we might be able to take each other's dancing into whole different level. We have been talking about this and we might start dancing Zouk together. He is more experienced dancer than I but we are kind of the same level in Zouk. I have a feeling that he could be the kind of dance partner I have been looking for. I mean serious dance partner, not just someone I practice dancing with regularity. Let's see how things develop.

Talking about Zouk, I was recommended to check out one Zouk webpage and I think it is great. It is a good place to find some Zouk videos, so I thought to share the link with you: http://www.zouknation.net. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment