Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Power of Positive Feedback.

"I really enjoyed dancing with you" might be the best thing to hear after dancing with someone. When I heard that last night in the dance floor I realized how good it made me feel, and also that I haven't been getting that kind of feedback for a long time. I think I found out the reason why I haven't been enjoying dancing that much lately: a lack of positive feedback.

I appreciate when someone advices me what I should do different in my dancing because it really helps me to improve, but if the only reactions I get are negative I cannot help thinking that I must be doing everything wrong. It might also have an influence that both Mr A. and Michaelo expressed me last week their intentions to move over to other dance partners. So is it really so that I am doing something terribly wrong?

Yes, there are hundreds of things I still need to learn and yes, I haven't been progressing that much lately, but no, I don't think I've started to do something so different people suddenly started to dislike dancing with me. Sometimes it just would be nice to hear someone else saying me that! I realized I have been starting to worry about if the people I dance with are not enjoying my dance company, and this is why I stopped asking anyone to dance with me. I have been stying passive beside the dance floor thinking if someone wants to dance with me he comes and asks me to dance. I don't know if its just that I've been looking so lonely out there or if there are dancers who actually like dancing with me, but I haven't been left alone.

I have to say that I am not that keen on the atmosphere where all people do is criticize others dancing and makes lists of people who are crappy dancers and who even crappier. I'm sorry if I got this wrong but I thought dancing wasn't a privilege of only perfect dancers? If you don't want to dance with the dancers you think are crappy, just don't. But while doing so don't take away their enjoyment and push them down with your spiky comments. What I think would be better, though, is to concentrate on the things others are good at and encourage them to develop those.

I admit that sometimes I forget to give positive feedback myself and I should work on that. I bet there is no one who wouldn't like receiving some positive comment after a shared dance. So next time you liked dancing with someone, why wouldn't you just tell him/her that?

No comments:

Post a Comment