Sunday, March 18, 2012

My dance roller-coaster has slowly started to go up. I must admit that I dug quite deep this week, as many noticed from my previous posting, but now I'm feeling a lot better and already looking forward to next week's dancing.

This week I managed to go to three dance parties: Tuesday to Havanna's bachata night, Thursday to Cuba's Tropicoco party and Friday to Pohjalaisten Tanssikerho's ballroom and folk dance party. Thursday I was super tired after my dance practices though, so I mostly skipped dancing there. Havanna's Tuesday nights have been more and more quiet lately and Cuba didn't fill up on Thursday either. I wonder where people go dancing nowadays. Let me know if you find out!

Wednesday's and Thursday's dance practices went good. I especially liked F&A's lesson which focused mostly on followers' body movement and control. In addition to the regular practices I had a Tango practice with one dancer from HOT-Dancing courses on Saturday. He had taken an intensive course on Finnish Tango and wanted to practice some things they went through there with me. I took his offer with a will since I haven't been dancing Tango that much and it is a dance I really want to learn more. I felt like I got a lot from our practice especially when it comes to stepping technique. I noticed that my stepping is quite good when I move forward but going backward doesn't go that smoothly. I also have a tendency to take my steps too early. I hope that we will find some more time to practice together so I can try to fix some of the problems I'm having in the technique. It is great to notice the things I have to concentrate to. If I don't know my weaknesses it is hard to know how to overcome them.

Today I had a hang over practice with JV. My friend had a birthday party and we ended up partying hard and late last night. I was really close cancelling the whole practice after waking up at 3pm and feeling not that energetic but I'm glad I didn't: after the practice I felt a lot better and it was a great practice. Taking F&A's classes have helped me tremendously to put my focus on certain things I have to work with in Zouk. I know what I have to do different but I just have to get those things to my body's memory by repeating them again and again. It was also nice to notice how much JV has been improving in Zouk lately. F&A's teachings are already showing outcomes in many zoukkers!

I think that next week I won't have time for social dancing that much but maybe it is a good thing to take one week easy before Prague's Zouk festival in the end of this month. Only couple of weeks to go, can't wait!

1 comment: