Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Weekend Full Of Dancing.

The first time I went to HOT-Dance's party I barely knew anyone. This time, however, it was a way too easy to spend most of the time in the dance floor since there were lots of familiar faces from my dance classes. It wasn't an attendance record but the dance floor was still quite crowded. It was a good thing that many beginners showed up, but the downside of this was that after dancing with beginner leaders my upper body got really stuck. If the beginner classes' teachers are reading this, could you teach the guys how to hold a girl properly, please!? It was really nice party, though I didn't get many of those oh-that-was-a-mind-blowing-dance-experiences. This sounds like I didn't have fun, but no, I really enjoyed the evening. I enjoyed it so much that apparently my right knee got angry at me! There were many great leaders too, and I was lucky enough to dance with them more than just a one dance. It was quite hard at times to ask them for a dance because all the other girls wanted to dance with them too, so you had to be quick between the dances or you missed your chance!

Next morning I could feel the dance party in my feet when I headed to my and JV's Zouk practice. To compensate the dance party's lack of emotionality I suggested to do a practice where we could try to get the right feeling to our zoukking. We listened a song and went through its story, and then made that story happen. We didn't make the figures perfect but we really lived through the story. It felt amazing: this is how dancing should always be! I was surprised when JV said my Zouk has developed a lot. We've only had couple of practices (plus a two week break again!) and I still have really fundamental problems with Zouk, such as balance difficulties and uncertainty with basic step technique. Well, I just need more zoukking (and less breaks!) and maybe then also I am going to be confident about my progress.

I really wanted to go see JV compete in the Freaca Latin competitions but I had Spex practice for dance 3 Saturday evening and Spex goes first to anything at the moment. The practice was good and now I'm finally getting the hang out the choreography. It really helps to sleep couple of nights and let the choreography rest a while. This doesn't mean that I wouldn't be lost most of the time while dancing this dance but I'm sure I'll learn it well for the premiere. Talking about the premiere, tickets for it are already sold out! So go and get your tickets soon before all the other showings are full!

Today we had a Spex go-through. Compared to last week my feelings are really positive even though many dancers seemed to have the opposite thoughts. Right, we did many mistakes but everybody is getting better and better. The feedback for us dancers were that we have to invest in our facial expressions and to the finishing of our moves. We also have to remember the 3-meter rule: you have to keep your role three meters after exiting the stage. The dance isn't over when the music or choreography ends but when you are sure the audience cannot see you anymore!

So, only three weeks till the premiere. It is a short time if I think that it means only three practices for each dance. I can see that the pressure is already getting tighter in our dance group, so I hope everybody will remember to keep the spirit up until the end. After all, this is meant to be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment