Wednesday, October 5, 2011

An Exciting Suggestion.

I don't know how good of a person I was in my last life because life is treating me so well now! On Monday evening I got a surprising Facebook message from this one Zouk dancer I've met couple of times. I got so excited about the message I had to hold back not to jump around my apartment and scream hysterically. My reaction was due to this: the dancer said that he would like to start practicing Zouk with me! I mean, wow, this was exactly what I hoped for! I don't know why he would like to practice with me, a total Zouk beginner, but it doesn't really matter for me! Apparently my huge enthusiasm for dancing compensates my lack of experience. Oh, I'm so happy about this! Okay, maybe I shouldn't count my chickens before they're hatched, since we haven't had our first practice yet. I hope it will go well and we will actually start dancing together. You should see my wide smile when I am even thinking about this!

Oh, yesterday evening I went to one dance party in bar Havanna and learned a new dance, Kizomba. It is a African pair dance, originally from Angola, danced to Zouk-like music. I have seen people dancing it in some Salsa events, but I never got the basic steps and so didn't try dancing it before this. Somehow I had the image that Kizomba would be a mixture of Salsa and Bachata, but after trying it, I don't think so anymore. It is a slow, wavy and sensual dance, and the dance stance is r-e-a-l-l-y close. I happened to meet one Salsa dancer just before the short Kizomba lesson and it was almost awkward to dance that close body contact with someone you just met. I am already used to the strong physical contact in other dances, but I might not recommend Kizomba as a first dance to start with to some who haven't been dancing pair dances before. Other than that, it is easy to follow and allows you enjoy the music and closeness. Anyway, we were both Kizomba beginners and ended up having heaps of fun learning this new dance. The basics are quite easy so we got into the dance pretty fast. The hardest thing for me was the down-backward hip movement, since I've used more to right-left movement, and after dancing a while I could definitely feel it in my back. Great night all in all, the only thing missing was a bit more people in the dance floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment