Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Connecting People.

Saturday I almost had the same feeling as when I went to my first Zouk practice; the Zoukkers had a birthday party for Zouk in Finland in Helsinki Salsa Academy's studio. The location was definitely the kind of place you wouldn't just happen to jump into and find out there was the most amazing party going on, so good thing I'm already getting into the Zouk circles! Even though the studio was a bit secluded place, it was a great place to have a dance party.

The plan for the night was simple but couldn't been better: to dance Zouk, dance a little bit more Zouk, and then dance some Zouk. My mission to dance with as many different people as I could was accomplished easily when all the dancers formed a big circle and did a Roda, which is a group Zouk dance. Basically you do certain moves after which you change partner. It was a good way to get everybody involved and after that I didn't feel uncomfortable asking people to dance since I already danced with everybody. Later we also did a birthday dance for two dancers who had their B-days. All the girls circled the B-day boy and the boys did the same for the girl, and they got to be in the middle of attention and dance with all of the opposite sex. How cool, I want to get that for my birthday too!


The only thing that was bothering me was that I promised one of my best friends to go out night clubbing with her later that evening. The moment I walked in to the Zouk party I knew I didn't want to leave early! I almost texted my friend I'm not coming after all, but I didn't want to be the kind of person who breaks her promise. So after midnight I had to say goodbye and head to the Tiger. It felt so nice that everybody were trying to make me stay, asking me for the "last" dance over and over again. Even though I am a new Zoukker and didn't know most of the people there, I didn't feel outsider even for a second. It is amazing how dancing connects people!

I am already spreading my zest for Zouk to other people. I took one of my friends to the Zouk party and yesterday I got a message from him saying he has been thinking about Zouk a lot since that (oh I know how that feels like!). Today I'm taking a new acquaintance to Noche Romantica, a Kizomba, Salsa and Bachata party in Havanna. I met her through my friend on Saturday and she seemed like a person who would just fall for the dance. Right okay, I might have a hidden agenda behind this, since none of my current friends are into social dancing, which means no one to go with me to Salsa clubs!

Before the today's party JV is giving me another Zouk lesson. After introducing Zouk to my friend in the Zouk party, I might now understand why some are willing to practice dancing with beginners. It feels great to see their positive reactions to a new dance. It is like giving something precious to the other person, and I do like to make others happy (then again, who wouldn't?). Well, I just have to first learn myself before passing the present along.

1 comment: