Friday, October 21, 2011

Biodanza.

I'm the kind of person who likes to try new things,especially if it is related to dancing. So when I was browsing through a pamphlet about Malaga area's events, my attention was drawn by an ad of Biodanza. Immediately I was like wait what is this thing and why haven't I heard about it before? It must be something to do with dancing since the ad said no dancing experience needed. I convinced my sisters to come to the evening's class with me and so we headed to this place called La Casa Invisible later that day.

When we arrived to the place it seemed a bit suspicious. It was located in a small side street and there were bunch of people smoking weed outside it. It took a while for us to find the right room, La Sala Verde, but when we finally got there, there was a small group of people smiling at us and welcoming us in.

The Biodanza class started with a short introduction of Biodanza since me and my sisters were there for the first time. The instructor was really kind-hearted and warm person, and her eyes were full of happiness and beam. The way she described Biodanza was unforgettable: she said Biodanza had opened her a landscape of butterflies, flowers and beautiful colors. Yes, sound really hippie-like but the way she expressed it, wasn't. All the other people in the class also said Biodanza has had a big effect on them even though the classes have just started in Malaga not so long ago. That is also the reason why the group was relatively small.

The class was definitely different to any dance classes I've been. It wasn't about any dance technique or music genre, but more about expressing yourself through the music and connecting with the other persons during your dance. We were emphasized that it was really important to watch into each others eyes during the whole class; in that way you couldn't isolate yourself from the others. It was also prohibited to speak during the class. It was only the instructor speaking while she was giving us instructions. We made a different dance to each song and each dance had it's own theme, which usually included some specific emotion, like happiness, anger or pride. Connecting with the others started gradually first with eye-contact, then continued to gentle touches and hugs. The strong contact with the group during the whole class made me feel like I would somehow know the strangers even though I hadn't spoke a single word with them.

Since dancing for me is a way of expressing myself I really liked the emotions connected to the dances, even though sometimes it was hard to find the right emotions in a short time. I also found some surprising emotions inside me. What I would have wanted more was more actual dancing. Anyway, Biodanza was really liberating experience for me, and I hope my sisters also enjoyed it as much as I did. Unfortunately Biodanza is not danced in Finland, at least yet, so I won't be able to continue it any time soon. Maybe I'll stop by on Monday's class if I have some time.

1 comment:

  1. This is pretty close - maybe you wanna try it? Today at 20 :-)

    https://www.facebook.com/events/167954726721228

    ReplyDelete