Tuesday, May 14, 2013

West Coast Swing.

Today was the beginning of my WCS marathon. This means I'm going to West Coast every day until Monday morning, and hopefully day and night long during the weekend. Its sure going to be an exciting weekend; I even registered to my first WCS competition! I know, pretty crazy thing to do after just couple of months of dancing, but after a long consideration I thought why not. I'm not going to have these opportunities for a long time after this. Its all about having fun anyway.

It wasn't long time ago when I was having second thoughts about going to the Swingsation. The last thing I wanted to do was to get depressed of being a horrible dancer beside the pros and other amazing West Coast dancers. Now I finally have a feeling that this is very unlikely to happen. Rather, I'll get inspired seeing those great dancers. Plus, I'll most definitely will have lots of fun now that I've somehow gotten into the dance. I feel like I'm dancing West Coast, maybe with my own Latin-affected style, but West Coast nonetheless. Its been so helpful to get some feedback and couple of private practices.

So, why have I been going to WCS classes twice every week since end of March? Even though the Swingsation pass was giving me extra motivation, it was surely not the only reason. I fell in love with the extremely positive feeling that people were having. I fell for the opportunities the dance style offers. I got excited that WCS can be danced to almost any music. It was interesting to see these different dance circles and atmosphere compared to latin dancers. Everything was something so different to my beloved Zouk: technique, music, connection, following, the whole feeling of the dance. I soon realized that it also took me out of my dance comfort zone, which can be unpleasant feeling, but makes me learn more in shorter period of time. I think I've already come a long way even though I have heaps to learn.

In the beginnig of this year I promised myself to learn a whole new dance style. Well, you know what, I have a feeling that after this weekend I can proudly say that I am a West Coast dancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment