Friday, May 24, 2013

The New Me.

Gentleman, apologies: this is going to be a girly post, so you might want to skip the rest of it. However, since you made it all the way to this blog, you might as well check out this video about last weekend's Swingsation, which nicely puts together many things that happened there:


So, into the girly stuff! First of all, I finally got myself new dance high heels, even two pairs of them! My old shoes are so worn out that I felt embarrassed to wear them in the dance parties. One nice thing I have learned here in Brisbane is wearing high heels when dancing Zouk, which used to be something I rather didn't do. I was simply feeling more comfortable with my sneakers and didn't want to disturb my dancing experiences with worrying about my balance in high heels. Because here are so many Zouk parties around, I've had plenty of opportunities to get rid of this bad habit and got used to wearing heels. It is just a matter of practice and adjusting really. The more I wear heels the more comfortable I feel with them and the more I want to wear them.

Anyway, back to my new pretty shoes! There is this nice lady in Brisbane who has a dance shoe shop at her house in Annerly, and that's where I headed on Wednesday before Swingsation. I was desperate getting a pair of West Coasting shoes for the event since I sure didn't want to wear my dance sneakers for the whole event. My challenging plan was to find a pair that I could dance both West Coast and Zouk with. Challenging because West Coast dancers wear block heel shoes that no one uses in Latin world. Well, I was lucky to find the perfect "compromise" shoes: more Latin style but with wider and lower heels suitable for WCS. I also grabbed a new beautiful pair of Zouk shoes with me, and I can't wait to drive them in on this weekend on DouDoule! There is a good possibility that I'll visit the lady again before going back home. Too many pretty shoes to choose from!




Another girly thing worth mentioning is that I'm no longer a curly blond but a short brunette. I took my curls around an year ago, because I wanted to get that thick and voluminous Zouk hair that wouldn't fizzle out during the parties. My curls served me well but they made my hair in such a bad condition that I simply had to cut it away. I've never had this short hair, so it was kind of a big decision for me. It might feel weird not being able to swing my hair while dancing Zouk, but I since far I've liked the transformation. Isn't it funny that dancing affects to all of my decisions, even the choice of a hair cut! I don't have a nice dancing picture of my new hair yet, but here is a WCS video from last night:


Pretty different look, huh! By the way, please take into account how short time I've been dancing West Coast while watching the video. I still have long way to go, as you can see. The leader I'm dancing with in the video is someone who have helped me a lot with my West Coast. One of the persons who I'll definitely miss when I get back home.

So, this weekend it is time for Doudoule Latin Dance Camp! Those who know me and browse through the artists in the web page can easily guess with who of them I'm dying to dance with. Its going to be yet another amazing dancing weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment