Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Swingsation.

Oh my god what an amazing weekend I had in Swingsation! Those couple of days put my dancing into a whole different level and made me understand the feeling and dynamics of West Coast Swing. One noticeable highlight was my first placement in newcomer's Jack& Jill competition on Saturday night. Nice acknowledgement for my hard practicing during the last few months. And I was close for not even taking part!

I've been to quite a few Latin dance festivals, so I think I was expecting something similar to those from Swingsation, but no, it was really different. First significant difference was the competitions that took big amount of time of the weekend. It is a whole different concept that everybody competes, it is kind of part of the dance. There were three kind of competitions: choreographed performances, competition with set partners and competition with randomly picked partners. Most of Friday and Saturday nights were reserved for the competitions, with some social dancing in between and after. I'm not sure how I feel about this; it definitely has its pros and cons. Good thing is that it keeps the dance "clean" and makes dancers aware of proper technique and how the dance looks outside. Its also a great way of noticing your own improvement and gives everybody an opportunity to show others what they've got. Bad side of it was that it took so much time away from social dancing during the nights. Even though it was fun and inspiring to watch the competitions, I would have rather done more workshops and social dancing. I also wonder if the competitions hinder the development of the dance by setting specific rules of how the dance is supposed to be danced. Further, I had a feeling that the competitions clearly divided people into different levels of dancers, and as a beginner, made me feel quite outsider. You'd have to work hard to get a high level dancer position and that way to get into the "inside group" with who the other high level dancers dance with. Well, maybe that is one of the reasons why there are so many great dancers in WCS. I just have to say wow, really great dancers!

Second major difference was the feeling and atmosphere in the event, which I feel like Latin dance festivals have more friendly and warm touch than WCS. Then again, what I really loved was that people came there to have lots of fun, to laugh a lot and have crazy times in the dance floor. I have always preferred to dance to slower songs that have lots of feeling, but in West Coast I just love those energetic and fast beat songs that you can just party through with lots of speed and energy.

What has always been really important to me in partner dancing is the dance connection. During the weekend I found that in WCS I can have a good connection with more people but the connection is never as "deep" as in Zouk. I felt like in WCS they think the connection as a part of the technique, whilst I think its more than just a technique, something quite magical between the two dancers. Funnily, I experienced the deepest connections during the weekend (unknowingly) with dancers of Zouk and Kizomba background. "So what else have you danced?" -"Zouk." -"Oh, that makes sense". I also found out that it is pretty easy to mix Zouk into West Coast. Easy way of dancing Zouk not only to Zouk music but also into any music with 4/4 count!

So, what next? All the WCS practices before Swingsation were kind of aiming there, it was my goal. As far as I know there is no WCS scene in Finland, and since I'll be having visitors for the last two months of my stay in Brissy, there will be not that much opportunities to dance here either. A great investment that I can't utilize, right? Yes, I was feeling really sad on Sunday after the final workshops and social dancing. I had so much fun. I learned so much. I fell in love with the dance. Now what?

Even if this was the end of my West Coast (at least for a long while), I am deeply happy that I went for it. Besides, I do realize that dancing is living in a moment, and I loved each and every one of my Swingsation moments. That is what matters.

Btw, Ben&Jen's WCS routine with a Hiphop touch was simply amazing to watch. One of the best routines I've ever seen. Check them performing the same routine in Swing Diego:

1 comment: