Thursday, July 12, 2012

Summer of Dance.

I apologize for my low profile lately. I didn’t think that June would go so tremendously fast and I simply haven’t had time to sit down, go through my thoughts and write them down. If for some rare reason I happened to come home relatively early (that is, before 9-10 pm), I have been too tired to do anything but crash to bed. Actually writing this down makes it sound bad. Am I pushing it too much? Would it be better to stop and calm down?

No, I’d rather like to think that since far I have been enjoying my summer to the full, and isn’t that how summer should go? Enjoying every moment, every warm sunshine, every dance step I take. The summer has already made me feel so good that I feel like I just might come apart from pure happiness, and dancing has had a lot to do with that feeling. I have fallen in love with dancing all over again!

I haven’t been holding on to my decision to cut down on dancing during the summer, but I have been able to change my attitude into a summer mood. I don’t want to stress out if I’m not progressing with my technique or following but to rediscover that ultimate enjoyment dancing can give. I want to relax my mind and let my body follow the good feeling. I still do pay attention to the main things I should work on, like controlling my energy and finishing my moves beautifully, but I forgive myself when I don’t succeed or do the best I could. I fell in love with this aphorism I came across the other day: “When you stumble, make it part of the dance”. If I wouldn’t stumble and fall down, how could I learn to get up from the ground? This kind of a mindset have actually made me more confident dancer.

So, a lot of dancing has happened during the last month. What comes to my normal week days, I have been spending every Wednesday and Thursday evening in Zouk classes, and had one-to-one Zouk practice at least once a week. Sunday evening is the time to go dancing Salsa to the Opera, and there has been couple of nice dance parties (and after parties!) going on in Helsinki during the weekends. I’ve spent two weekends in dance festivals, first in Berlin and second in Tampere, and danced my feet sore in both of those. I had maybe the best birthday party ever when me and Michaelo rented Helsinki Salsa Academy’s studio and threw a dancing party there. The evening was simply perfect and it made me into an intense dance flow, the best I’ve had for a long long time. On top of that, our choreography was received with huge cheers and I danced my first own roda with an amazing feeling, not even mentioning the after party that lasted early to the next morning! On the Mid Summer I had a quick peek in Finnish lavatanssit, and last weekend I did my fist dance in the rain in Pihlajansaari 24 hour Salsa party. What an amazing feeling it is to dance in warm summer rain, wow. One other thing I started doing this summer, was going back to the gym club I used to go before I started dancing so much I didn’t have time to do anything else. Going back there has given me a great opportunity to challenge my body in a total different way to dancing. The only thing I haven’t been doing really, is sleeping enough. Mondays have gone half sleep at work, and for the first time in my life I have been drinking coffee. Despite that, all these active moments counterbalanced with chilling out, having long lunch breaks and sleep-overs with my friends, the summer has offered me many reasons to smile non-stop, and that’s what I have been doing. Even thinking about all the special moments I’ve had puts a big smile on my face right now.

Even though a lot has happened, the summer is far from being over yet. I’m planning on continuing to enjoy every moment it brings and every dance I dance. You might hear from me from time to time, but don’t except as frequent postings as before the summer. Don’t get me wrong, I love sharing my dance feelings but I just love more making those feelings and living them through. This summer is here only now, and it’s going to be over sooner than you notice.


















No comments:

Post a Comment