Thursday, June 16, 2011

Zero to Hero.

I learned something totally new in yesterday's practice: Samba walk. I must say I am quite proud of myself because I improved my walk really fast inside 30 minutes. First I felt like the exercise was a joke because I looked so ridiculous trying to take long steps forward as Nic told me to do. After laughing at myself for 15 minutes I begged Nic to tell me how the hip is supposed to move to be able to get the bigger idea behind the walk. And then at one point, suddenly, I just got it and did at least 100 % better than in the beginning.

So how do you do Samba walk then? This is the impression what I got: You take quite long steps forward and while doing that put your balance down and to the front leg. The front leg should be bent and back leg straight. When moving the balance to the front leg you move your hip forward and to the side. Now when you start moving your back leg to the front, you start the movement with your hip first. Doing this, the other side of the hip will automatically move backwards. All the time you should have a feeling of a soft and smooth bouncing. The beat of the walk is quite fast it is actually easier to keep your balance when going fast.

Btw, here is a video I found on YouTube of Bryan Watson and Carmen Vincelj dancing Samba. How cool is that?!




Anyway, after succeeding in Samba, we shifted to Standards. After dancing Slow Waltz for a while I got frustrated about one mistake I keep on repeating every single time even though I know I am doing it wrong. I also felt like I needed just to do some basic steps because I struggled with the heel step with my Latin shoes, so I stopped and started to practice on my own. I talked with Nic today and he said this was a point when I moved to a next level. This is a level where I can evolve only by figuring out things by myself. Nic will still guide me through this level but he cannot teach me most of the things.

Maybe it was because my improvement, but Nic suggested us to have one more dance practice per week during the next one and half months. I was thrilled about this! Every Wednesday I have been thinking that how can I survive until Monday without dancing. I hope I can get us a practice time from our practice place.

Tomorrow I am planning on going Salsa clubbing to Coronita with one of my friend. I'm looking forward dancing with someone new. Not that I wouldn't enjoy dancing with Nic, no, but I want to see if I will be able to follow different kind of signals. Maybe I will learn to become a better follower since Nic is always complaining I don't let him lead!

No comments:

Post a Comment