Saturday, June 18, 2011

Dancing With a Star.

Last night I went to Coronita's Salsa party "Club Latin Beat" with my friend and couple of his friends. Dj Lucho did again good job with the music, though this time he played a little bit too much Bachata to my taste. My friend haven't really been dancing Salsa and it was nice to be able to teach him the basic steps to Salsa, Merengue and Bachata. He seemed to enjoy the dancing and later told me that I was really good teacher. I found it quite hard to teach a guy because it is the man who leads and I cannot teach how to lead. It is so much easier for the ladies just to follow what the man does (well ok, sometimes it is hard to follow a guy if he doesn't know what he is doing!). Anyway, I think my friend got the basic idea and was already doing quite well with Merengue after a while.

This was the first time I went to a Salsa party without Nic and I used that opportunity and tried to dance with other people. I realized that I know only one way of dancing Salsa. I was quite confused that even the basic steps can be so different and I had hard time trying to realize how they should go. I also had now more time to observe others dancing. There was one couple who caught my eye. I think they have been dancing together for quite a long time and, boy, they were such a good dancers! When I was watching them I kind of wished my dance partner was there. Nic would have loved to try to do better than they did! Actually he would have beaten the guy far and away but I have still a long way to the level where the girl was. Well at least I tried to follow the girl to learn something from her.

Just before the place closed one Nicaraguan guy (I think he was from there) asked me to dance with him. I had followed him dancing earlier so I knew he could dance well. When we started to salsa he was like "wow, slow down girl" and wanted me to make my movements really smooth and small. He said he has always found it hard to dance with someone who has been in a dance school because they make everything so exaggerated. He asked me just to listen to the music and focus on the person you are dancing with. I liked that he wanted to teach me something new but then again one part of me would have wanted just to have fun and dance. Just when I was getting into his dance style it was time to go home. Well, maybe we can dance again some other time!

I don't know what I did last night while dancing but this morning my left hip was hurting so much. I am hoping it is not anything serious and goes away before tomorrow's Opera Salsa. It would suck if I had to keep a break from dancing because of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment