Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Slow Waltz + Foxtrot = Slowfox

Our Monday's practice started with me being pissed off to Nic. I cannot believe he went to the Opera Salsa on Sunday without me and he even had the nerve to brag about it! Nic just laughed at me and my angry looks I gave him. I don't even know why I was so mad about it, I guess I am still worried about not being good enough dancer to be his dancing partner, that he would change me to someone better when he gets the chance. Well anyway, he said the thing was amazing so I am definitely going there this Sunday. He also met some great dancers who might give me some good tips! We also planned on going to Coronita's Salsa party on Friday, one another Salsa party and Rueda practice on Saturday. Mm, cannot wait for the weekend!

On Monday Nic finally taught me the basic steps for Slowfox.  I actually thought that Slowfox was one of the Standard ballroom dances but it is not. I wonder why they even dropped the dance out of the competition program in the first place! Slowfox is one of the five Standard competition dances (do not trust Wikipedia on this, it is wrong!). After dancing for a while I said, "this is like combination of Slow Waltz and Foxtrot". Well, at least the name Slowfox now makes sense to me! Not surprisingly Slowfox, or Slow Foxtrot, is developed from Foxtrot in 1920s in England. The dance is a difficult one and for that reason it is taught only at advanced level. As Nic said, dancing Slowfox is like dancing on top of clouds: a continuous and non-stop, soft and sliding up and down movement over the dance floor. The steps are long and the dance includes wide turns, and therefore Slowfox needs lots of space to dance. So this is not a dance for crowded dance floors!

I must say I really fell for the dance. It has some kind of royal or elegant feeling that makes you flow in the air. First the basic step sounded complicated but it really helps that we have been dancing Slow Waltz and Foxtrot before. The rhythm for basic step goes slow-slow-quick-quick-slow-quick-quick-slow-quick-quick and we definitely need to practice that more to be able to synchronize our movements.

I tried to find some good video of Slowfox but did not find any good ones. So instead you can try to get the feeling with this music:


No comments:

Post a Comment