Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Take More Chances, Dance More Dances.

Since I got back from NZ I had a feeling that I haven't been doing end experiencing enough while in Brisbane. This was the trip I had been planning and waiting for ages and here I was just doing nothing exiting. Sure, studying is interesting but that's not the only reason I came here. One night after one of those not-that-exciting-days I said to myself girl, you need to dance more, and so I decided to leave behind the slow and lazy evenings and head out.

It is not hard to find dancing to do in Brisbane and so I ended up spending all my evenings dancing (sounds like something I would easily end up doing, huh?) wondering afterwards why going down the stairs was so painful thing to do. If I want to get everything out of my time here, I reasoned, I need to be proactive. So, I explored new dance schools, tried new dance styles and even facebooked suggested events for dance parties (great way of crashing into some nice house parties and meeting new people by the way!). I danced on ice, by the pool, in a park, under the starts, in a bowling club and in restaurants. After the intensive exploration week, I now have three weekdays booked for regular dance classes and two dance festival passes for May waiting in my pocket. One thing I love and hate about myself is that I just have to do everything in extremes. There is no such thing as golden mean for me.

Remember I made a New Year's promise that I would learn a new dance this year? Well, I think I've found the dance I want to learn: West Coast Swing. One of those festival passes is for Swingsation, a WCS dance festival held in Gold Coast on 17th -19th May. One thing I know about dance festivals is that if I go there as a total beginner I end up feeling horrible among all the great dancers, and also I won't get so much out from the workshops than if my level was higher. So I have a challenge to boost myself to an intermediate level during the couple of months. Let's see how I'll do.

After all the time I've already have spent here, I still find it surprising how many people come to ask me if I was a dance instructor. The latest incident was at Dancing by the River latin social dancing event on Sunday when a lady approached me asking where my studio is located. Confusing. I wonder if its the tough feedback culture in Finnish dancing circles that has either made me surprised of the super positive feedback or made me a good dancer. At least it sure is more encouraging atmosphere here, I feel.

Last but not the least, a video of my and Big O's zoukking in the Amateur Freestyle Latin Championships last Saturday. The song we got was a way too fast for our style (the only lambada song out of twenty-something zouk songs in the competition, what a luck...) which shows as a rush and unfinished movements in the performance, but I left the night with only positive feelings in my heart. At least we stood out from everyone else, and more importantly, had fun!


Finally, since I just came from Leo&Becky's Zouk class, I just must say, once again, how great teacher they are. I love they way they point out those small but crucial details that can put your dancing into the next level. I really with they stayed here for longer because these kind of teachers and dancers are hard to find. Have a safe trip back home guys and hopefully see you some day soon!

3 comments:

  1. Nice to see you are enjoying yourself and learning new and exciting dances. You do dance very well and sometimes as you said Finnish culture can be a little too hard on somebody and not really appreciate the fun aspect of dance. Sometimes it feels like its hard work when it should be feeling the music and enjoying the good times. Take care and have fun !

    Paulo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paulo! Actually I realized how hard the feedback culture is in Finland only after coming here. It has its positive sides of course and good feedback is something I do miss in here. That said, it is the fun and enjoyment part that should be the dominant element in dancing. Dancing should not be work but make you feel inspired and beautiful.

      Delete
  2. Hei maailmanmatkaaja, mun blogissa olisi sulle haaste!:)

    ReplyDelete