Sunday, March 3, 2013

Dance Like No One Is Going To Put It On YouTube.

So I'm back in Brisbane from my holiday in New Zealand. What a trip it was! I would have tons of cool stories to tell but unfortunately none is to do with dancing, so dance-wise I have nothing exciting to tell from the activity-full trip. I did try to find some social dancing while in Christchurch but I simply happened to be there at the wrong time of the week.

However, I know that soon I'll have tons of cool dancing stories to tell. Remember me complaining about Kadu and Larissa leaving for their European tour just when I finally would have been in the same city to take their classes? Well, you can imagine how relieved I got when I heard that there is going to be someone, or rather a certain dance couple, replacing them while they are gone. And not just any dance couple but one whose style I happen to like a lot. A dance couple whose style is really different to Kadu&Larissa's. A teacher with who it is extremely enjoyable to dance with. Can you give it a guess who I'm talking about with this very easy hint: last (and first) time I took their classes were in Helsinki Zouk festival (well actually his and his previous dance partner's classes). So yeah, I'm really excited since they are going to have classes here for the next five weeks! Last Friday night there was a welcome party for them in Rio Rhythmics so my plan was to get there early to get some extra dances with him. My plan was unsuccessful, however, since he was DJ'ing the whole night and couldn't dance at all! Well, it was a great party anyway but I really hope to get some opportunities to grab him to the dance floor at some point while they're here.

Big O. is now staying here with me for a couple of months and of course I was excited to show him the good dancing that's happening in Brissy. On Wednesday I took him to Casablanca, a bar/restaurant where they organize Latin dancing nights, firstly because it was the first dance night after coming back and also because I hadn't yet been there myself. It reminded me of Helsinki's bar Havanna; the kind of place where you'd go dancing every week with your friends (except a lot more hot place to dance, I really wish they'd get aircon!), nothing too fancy but a place to have some great and cozy dance evenings. Unfortunately this Wednesday wasn't a great success and only few dancers had showed up (maybe the heavy raining that evening did its part). I was like it's not like this usually, I promise! Well, I guess Friday night proved me right.

Last night we got an invite to one local dancer's house party. He had this huge kitchen with lots of space to dance and that's what we did. It was great way of getting to know to some of the dancers here, have a great evening and some good dancing. You know, in dance parties you may meet lots of people but it can be hard make friends with them. I especially liked chatting with some of the girls and hear about their thoughts and tips about dancing in Brisbane since in dance parties its even harder to meet other girls. Everyone were excited about Big O's quite different Zouk moves so we got into YouTube that night (just after me spotting the heading's dance quote earlier that day):


This month there is also some exciting dance events to come. Next weekend I'm going to my first ever West Coast Swing workshop to see if that dance is for me. The weekend after that there is an amateur Latin dance competition in Brisbane where I'm trying to get Big O. to participate with me. And of course Leo&Becky's (yes you got that right!) workshops are a must in this month.

So, its already been a month since I left Helsinki. Can you believe that?

1 comment: