Saturday, November 10, 2012

We Should Consider Every Day Lost On Which We Have Not Danced At Least Once.

This week has proven me that dancing can be quite an exercise. After a busy dance week my body feels so exhausted and tired I started to wonder if I did a bit too much dancing during the week. I have also been starving all the time the last two weeks. Seriously, dancing cannot need that much energy that my body is carving! Well, this must be good practice for the next weekend's incoming Zouk festival. Oh, its going to be awesome, I tell you!

This week has been special at least for two reasons. Firstly, on Monday I checked out Footlight's new dance ware store and got myself new lower high-heels for the Zouk festival. I've had this negative attitude against dancing Zouk in high-heels but finally I decided to get rid of that mentality. Besides, if I think I cannot do something, I most probably won't be able to do it. Yes, high-heels disturb my balance but I've found out that dancing Zouk with heels is not an impossible mission after all. I think I did quite well in a practice with JV and Friday's party in HSA. I have started to use more high-heels also in ballroom dance parties. Just a some more practice and my balance will be fine I think. This might sound funny to you but this discovery simply made me happy. It was kind of excelling myself and my old way of thinking.

Another speciality was that I had dance practices with not one but two new leaders I haven't had one-to-one practices before. Or actually the number is technically even three because on Thursday evening I had an extempore Bachata practice with a HOT dance teacher after being dumped by someone with who I agreed to have practice that evening (you recognize yourself, so shame on you!). Anyway, Wednesday evening after my Voguing class I went zoukking with Carlos who had asked me to practice with him after reading my last blog posting. You get what you ask, huh! I find it useful to practice with someone with who I haven't been dancing much since I seem to identify some strengths and weaknesses I haven't paid attention before. It also makes me feel good if I can give some advice to someone else. Many dancers have helped me improve my dancing so why not to do the same myself if I have skills to do that.

On Friday then again I had my first practice with Bob. I had danced with him only couple of times in HOT's and POT's parties, and even though our dance backgrounds and styles differ a lot I instantly felt a great connection with him in the dance floor. I am usually really shy on asking anyone to have a dance practice with me, especially if I don't know the person, but this time my burst of courage paid back when he agreed without further ado. I had a great time with him and by chance we even had one dance teacher present in the practice to give us some feedback. Funny how fast three hours can go! Let's do this again some time soon, shall we Bob?

In answer to a question you asked me not a long ago, a question I didn’t answer at the time…it is worth it. Love is a perilous dance too, you see. And if we stop dancing, we’ll die. Don’t ever stop dancing.” - Kate Avery Ellison

No comments:

Post a Comment