Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Greetings from Tango Class.

This fall my Monday evenings have been spent in Argentinean Tango classes. Yesterday was the last class of the season and we had a special Christmas version of the normal classes. The classroom was decorated with candles and Christmas lights, dancers had been dressed nicely and there were sweets, like gingerbreads and fruit cake, as well as glögi served. Unlike the usual classes, you could pop into any/all of the three classes for the price of one. What a nice way to end the season!



I have found Argentinean Tango to be very useful dance style to practice even though I haven’t really been dancing it outside the classes. It is a social dance and the emphasis in the classes has strongly been on leading and following, so the classes has given me a great opportunity to improve my following skills – something that is valuable in regards to any partner dancing style. Misplacing a step with only few centimeters can change the whole dance figure or make the couple lose their balance. I really love this delicate touch that Argentinean Tango has. It has also directed much of my concentration into my frame and rotation of the upper body that, yet again, are crucial things in many dance styles. Also my posture and footwork are something that I feel I have been improving with; I got good feedback especially from my “clean footwork” from our teacher.

If you want to give Argentinean Tango a try, I can highly recommend Tangokoulu’s classes. You will be needing your own partner to the class though since there is no rotation of partners but I have found this pretty good way of practicing the small nuances of the tango technique. I’m not quite sure what my dance spring is going to look like but these classes are very likely to be included. Maybe I will even find the courage of going to a milonga.

No comments:

Post a Comment