Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Year, New Dance.

Every New Year I make three New Year’s promises. Last year I promised to find a dance that feels my own and that’s what I did. If I think of my dance year 2012 Zouk was definitely the dance I danced the most, got most enjoyment from and in which I improved the most. One of my promises for this year was that I’m going to learn a whole new dance. I don’t know yet what dance this will be but it must be something new and different; a way to challenge myself to find new perspectives to my dancing.

In the end of a year it feels natural to go back to the year passed and think through what has been happening in life lately. This time the end of the year feels even more like an end of some period in my life because of the big changes in my everyday life. If you go back in my blog to see what I did one year ago in the turn of the year, I was just starting to dance Zouk and was shocked to see the first video of my dancing. Since that I have been videotaping my dancing almost every week to find things to correct and improve. I also had just finished dancing in Spex and was feeling confused for not dancing every single day. But the biggest thing dance-wise one year ago was that I was having a big battle finding a balance with my dancing life. Dancing had become too dominant force and I needed to take back the control. I could say that now dancing isn’t spinning me around but that I let it to put me into spinning when I so want. One year ago my life seemed totally empty without dancing; now dancing makes my life much richer and more beautiful but I find happiness and excitement from other things too.

A more intensive dance period before the holidays was a good choice: no dancing for 13 days now. This might sound a bit contradictory to what I just said, but today I started to fill up my calendar with dance practices to compensate this break. However, having a balance doesn’t mean that I couldn’t spend much time dancing. By the way, beginning of spring and fall are good opportunities to find some low-priced or even free dance classes when many dance schools are having open doors weeks or introductory offers. I found at least these options for the coming days: DCA’s open doors week 7.-13.1. (free admission to all classes that has availability), SalsaStudio’s introduction week 7.-13.1. (all classes 5 €), StepUp’s open doors 6.1. (free classes all day), Etnofitnes’ super Saturday 12.1. (9 €/1 class, 12 €/2 classes, 18 € /3 classes, 22 €/4 classes). Also Unisport organizes introduction classes to most of their dance courses on January. All in all, January is a good timing to try something new! I’m more than happy to explore different dance styles so let me know if you know any more open door events.

Yay, busy dancing weeks coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment