Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Lead and follow

I have been wanting to start dancing for years. If you asked me what I wanted to be when I grow up when I was a child, I would have answered with bright blue eyes: a ballerina! Unfortunately I didn't follow that dream but at least music have always been a big part of my life. I spent my childhood singing in a choir and playing in a band. When I was old enough to get into nightclubs, I found my way to the dance floors. Well, I guess I had the rhythym but missed the moves.

The first time I came in touch with salsa was in a New Year's party around five years ago where I was thought the basic steps. I immediately fell in love with the dance. I had only one problem: I had no pair and there was no way my boyfriend of the moment started dancing with me (trust me, I tried really hard to make him!). I could have gone to a dance school you might say, and sometimes I wish I did. Instead I fulfilled my urge to move my body in aerobics and gymnastics classes.

I met Nic last summer through a charity organization we both have been working for quite a long time. One night we were talking about dancing and I told him I'd really like to learn more salsa. That night I found out he is a former competition dancer. Somehow, during the last 6 months I was able to make him give me a couple of salsa lessons the few times we met. I found it so effortless to dance with him. He took me to some salsa clubs and I got even more hooked with dancing. I felt like I was learning a lot in a really short period of time.

Couple of months ago Nic got a job offer from Finland. I was so surprised when he asked me to become his dance partner! Why would a professional want to dance with a complete amateur?

I have seriously have not been this exited about anything for a long time. We have been dancing for 4 weeks now and I'm eager to learn more. Since far I have been thought basic moves from slow waltz, rumba, disco fox and tango. Nic wanted to keep salsa a dance just to have fun with while the other dances can be more ”serious”. Dancing is never serious with Nic tho. He always says: the most important thing about dancing is to have fun and enjoy doing it. I agree!

This blog is about my feelings and thoughts about my ballroom dancing career starting from the very beginning. Let's see where it ends up.

No comments:

Post a Comment