Thursday, January 22, 2015

Made to Dance Together.

I need to write about this dancer. You see, I think we were made to dance together.

When we dance, there are no limits. When we dance, there is magic around. When we dance, there is no time, no others, no have-to-be's. When we dance, we don't want to stop.

And when we finally do stop, we look into each other with amaze, not fully knowing what just happened. We just know that it was something exceptional.
I still remember the astonishment I felt after dancing with him for the first time around two and half years ago. We were both quite beginners at that time and we seriously had no idea how we were able to do all those things together. Every time I think back those dances we shared a waive of happiness runs through my body and I can't help to smile. I didn't mention him specifically when I wrote about the weekend we met but this feeling I described back then came undoubtedly from dancing with him:
"On Sunday's party I felt like I was invincible, like I could do anything, that my body didn't put any limitations to my dancing."
After our first encounter it took more than a year until we were reunited on the dance floor. First he didn't recognize me but I could see it from his face that it all came back to him as soon as we took the first dance steps together. To my surprise after all that time he still remembered exactly how I felt in his arms by wondering whether I had become taller; yes, I had started to wear heels. However, it was not until the last summer we really re-explored our magical connection it was some late hours in Breda's congress when we couldn't stop for an hour or so. Needless to say those dances changed my evening upside down.

You can maybe imagine my heart skipping a beat last weekend when I noticed, to my very pleasant surprise, that he happened to be in the Zouk Libre festival with me. Our dance deepened little by little that weekend ending with a grande finale on Sunday night (or rather the early hours of the morning) – it was the kind of dancing I’ve never experienced before. We went into a journey of exploration, tested the limits of our bodies and our common dance style, laughed our heads off, had moments of great sensuality, reacted and counter-reacted to each other’s movements, did crazy lifts and tricks either of us had never even seen before… We continued for more than an hour until he realized his return flight was about to leave soon – I don’t know for how long we could have gone on if it wasn’t for that. The first thought we both had after that night was that we need to dance again; the exceptionality of our connection was too obvious for both of us. This time we won’t wait for another year: we will be dancing again soon, that is for sure.

Thus, if you see me smiling wider than usual during the weeks to come, I might just be thinking back that night and wondering if it really happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment